Why Landscape Architectural Services Need Insurance
As landscape architectural service business you work with a variety of clients on their land planning projects. Customers rely on your for advice and your expertise to bring their ideas to light, and they trust you to lead them in the right direction. Whether you offer landscape design advice, plan garden layouts or land use, or provide surveying services, your landscape architectural services business needs insurance. Business insurance protects your financial resources, reputation, and future during worst-case scenarios that result in high expenses and lawsuits.
Companies that fall under this industry offer a wide range of services such as aerial geophysical surveying, garden planning, geological surveying, golf course or ski area design, magnetic geophysical surveying, landscape consulting, seismic geophysical surveying, industrial land use planning, and landscape design.
Risks Landscape Architectural Services Could Face
There are a number of risks you face every day:
- Design Mistake: If you fail to include an important safety feature in your design and damage results because of it, you can be held liable.
- Bad Advice: Customers trust your advice and instincts. If you offer advice that doesn’t work or is detrimental to their well-being, they can file a lawsuit for the negative damages.
- Employee Injury: Land surveyors often spend their time in dangerous areas like alongside busy highways. If a driver swerves and hits the surveyor, your business is responsible for any medical expenses and lost wages. You can also be held liable for death expenses and lifetime lost wages if the injury is fatal.
- Auto Accident: Traveling to job sites opens the door to driving risks. If an accident occurs and your employee was using their personal vehicle for business, their auto policy won’t offer coverage. Your business will be responsible for the damage to the vehicle and any other property damage or injury that occurs.
- Theft of Equipment: Landscape architectural services require specialty equipment that isn’t cheap. If your equipment is stolen from your truck, office, or job site, how will you afford to replace it?
Types of Coverage Landscape Architectural Services Need
Insurance protects you during these scenarios. The trick is making sure you have the right business insurance in place. Every landscape architectural services business needs general liability, commercial property, and professional liability insurance. If you have employees, you might need worker’s compensation or employment practices liability.
- General Liability: Pays expenses for claims and lawsuits that claim your services caused personal injury, advertising injury or property damage.
- Commercial Property: Pays to replace your property or building in the event of an unexpected event like fire or theft that occur at your commercial location or job site.
- Inland Marine: This policy protects your property while it is in transit. Examples include if equipment falls out of the truck while in route or equipment is stolen while the truck is parked at a gas station.
- Professional Liability: Pays expenses that arise because your advice caused a negative impact or you missed something in your design plans that negatively impacted another person or entity.
- Business Auto: Covers costs that arise when your business is responsible for an accident include repairing your vehicle, any medical expenses, and fixing another party’s property.
How Much Does Landscape Architectural Service Insurance Cost?
There is no cookie-cutter insurance policy for landscape architectural services. Each insurance company is different and uniquely calculates premiums. Most companies will need a detailed explanation of your services, safety procedures, past claims history, and a summary of your experience. You can request an insurance quote for landscape architectural services today by filling out our online form.