Types of Insurance


Insurance Help


Log In

Insurance for Food Trucks

Prefer to speak with a CoverWallet consultant? Call
(585) 460-2602

What Insurance Do Food Trucks Need?

Business Owners Policy (BOP)

BOP Insurance protects restaurants against property damage or loss, such as damage from a fire or burglaries. BOP also covers liability claims related to injuries sustained while on the restaurant premises. BOP Insurance also covers business interruption losses if your restaurant is forced to close temporarily.

Workers Compensation

Workers Compensation covers your employees' medical costs and lost wages while recovering from a work-related injury or illness. The employee gives up the right to sue your company in return for receiving cash and benefits from Workers Compensation. In some states it’s mandatory for businesses!

Cyber Liability

This insurance covers a company in the event of a data breach in which sensitive customer information is leaked. These policies cover expenses, such as notification costs, credit monitoring, fines and penalties, defense costs, and loss resulting from identify theft.

Commercial Auto

Commercial Auto Insurance covers your cars, trucks, and vans used in your business. It covers the costs from vehicle damage in collisions, theft, vandalism and weather damage. It also covers medical expenses for to injured parties.

Liquor Liability

Liquor Liability Insurance protects a small business that manufactures, sells or serves alcohol. Small business owners are protected from claims that occur when a customer drinks too much and injures himself or someone else.

Product Liability

Product Liability insurance covers your business if you need to recall one of your products. It covers your costs for retrieving the defective product from the manufacturer or seller to prevent any further bodily injury or property damage.

Frequently Asked Questions

How much does it cost to insure a Food Truck?

General Liability is the first insurance policy to acquire for a food truck business and is often required by local laws to receive a permit to operate. It usually costs between $300 - $800 per year.

What is the difference between Food Truck property coverage and contents property coverage?

Food truck property covers the truck itself and all permanently attached equipment. Attached equipment is defined as something bolted to the truck or connected to a plumbing or gas line. Contents property coverage whereas covers all items which aren't attached to the truck. For example, a fridge bolted to the truck is property, but is content when it is only placed inside.

Why should I buy insurance for my Food Truck?

Insurance opens up a lot of possibilities for your food truck business. For instance, most events will require insurance before you can put your food truck in their events. It also protects the investment in your truck and pays for the legal expenses if a mishap occurs.

Do Food Trucks pay sales tax?

Yes, you have to pay taxes for all your sales resulting from your food truck business. You will not be paying taxes on the purchase of food, but the final product that leaves your service window.

Why do Food Trucks need insurance?

All food trucks need insurance because all food trucks exist in two separate areas: business vehicles and restaurants. All vehicles, no matter the type, need insurance coverage of some kind. Similarly, all restaurants carry a number of insurance products that help limit liability for several areas, including personal injury, bodily injury, food contamination, business interruption, fire damage and several other key areas. Questions any food truck owner should ask include:

  • What happens if someone gets sick after eating my food?
  • What laws and regulations exist if I decide to serve alcohol?
  • What is my liability concern if someone is injured by my truck in some way, even while it is stationary?
  • What fines might I face if I set up shop on a street corner, only to find out later that doing so was illegal?

Are You Ready to Get Covered?

Prefer to speak with a CoverWallet consultant? Call

(585) 460-2602