For any eCommerce startup, the main goal is to generate sales. But for customers to click the “buy” button, they first need to find your product landing page. However, that won’t happen if your page isn’t optimized to boost conversions.
So, what can you do to optimize your eCommerce website? Take a look at the tips below.
What are the basic elements of a product landing page?
Your product landing page should boost user confidence. It should provide all the necessary information required to make the buying process straightforward and easy.
For this to be possible, every product landing page needs to include these four basic elements:
- Your Product – This is the center of attention and should be displayed appropriately on your eCommerce website. The way it is presented can influence your customer’s buying decision.
- Your Branding – Your brand should be well perceived. From your social media to your landing page and your content marketing efforts your brand needs to be consistent.
- Your Product Page Design – This is a very crucial component of your eCommerce product page. It should be well designed and user-friendly.
- Your Copywriting – A good sales copy on your landing page should communicate your brand’s tone and convert sales. It needs to match your product, branding and product page design.
Now that you know what needs to be on your product pages, let’s look at some more specific components required by eCommerce startups for product page optimization.
Invest in quality product photos
With eCommerce, distance is not a barrier for your business. You can sell your goods to anyone in the world. However, since your customers are online, they cannot touch, examine, taste, or test your products before they buy. They rely on the product images they see on your online store to make a buying decision.
That’s why the importance of product photography on your eCommerce product page cannot be overemphasized. It’s your opportunity to create a user experience for your customers that casts your products in the best light.
- You might be able to take good pictures with your smartphone, but your product photos should be handled professionally. Take great shots of your products with professional photography equipment or hire a professional.
- Upload only quality product pictures on your eCommerce website and ensure it is well edited.
- Ensure your product images highlight the important features of your products.
- Upload multiple product image angles and zoom-enabled images that allow users to check out unique product features.
A good product photo can help to enhance credibility and boost your conversion rate. So, ensure you have a quality product photos that your target audience can connect with.
Have a clear CTA
The main objective of your online store is to get customers to hit the “Buy” button. This Call to Action (CTA) is the most important element of your eCommerce website. If this important CTA is not visible or obvious to your customers, it could result in a low conversion rate.
- Your CTA should boldly stand out from your product descriptions and other content on your eCommerce product page.
- It should also be visible to visitors when they land on your online store - i.e. they should not have to scroll down the page to find the buy button.
- The buy button area should not contain content or another CTA that will draw the customer’s attention away from the main goal, which is making a purchase.
- Don’t try to be creative with your CTAs. A simple CTA like “Add to Cart”, “Buy Now” or “Submit Order” will do. Trying to be creative with CTAs may confuse your customers.
While you should make your eCommerce product page visually appealing with images and videos, you still need to have compelling text on your product page.
- One thing you should never do if you are a third party seller is to rely on the manufacturer’s generic product descriptions. Recreate your descriptions to suit your target market.
- Keep it short and meaningful. Nobody is interested in reading long paragraphs. But ensure you provide enough details that will help the customer to easily make a buying decision.
- Try using bullet points to make it easier to read.
- Don’t make it boring. Put in some effort to make your product description relatable with your audience.
- Establish a branding strategy. Understand what your target audience seeks for in a product and work it into your product description.
Include informational content
The copy on your product landing page is key. Your audience wants products that can solve their problems or improve their quality of life. Your eCommerce product page should easily show them how your products can help them achieve that.
- You only have a few seconds to make an impression, so make it count. Include concise and informational content.
- Make your audience see what they’re missing if they don’t buy your products. How does your product fit into their lifestyle? How will it make their life fun, better or more efficient? Make it known in your content.
- Bring your brand to life by telling a story that resonates with your potential customers.
- Guide them through the details that matter.
- Make sure your content is engaging. Always proofread your page to check that you are speaking to your audience in an engaging tone.
Include social proof
Social proof can improve your conversion rate. It is a mild persuasive tool that can influence the purchasing behavior of your potential customers. Especially for new businesses, having social proof adds credibility to your brand and builds customer trust. Why does it matter?
- Having stellar customer reviews on your product landing page can help in converting visitors into customers. It shows that other people have bought your product and have certified it.
- A lot of people make their buying decisions off product reviews. They trust them as much as they trust recommendations from friends.
- Social proof can be the difference between a customer buying your products or purchasing similar products from another store. It adds a layer of trust to the buying experience, as the visitor journeys through your eCommerce website.
- Using social proof like customer testimonials, product reviews or awards from reputable organizations can help to show that your product is good and worth paying for.
Encourage your customers to leave reviews on your page. After you’ve made a sale, send a follow-up email and ask them to rate or leave a product review. The more reviews you have on your product landing page, the better for your business.
Your product landing pages are the most essential parts of your eCommerce website. When a visitor lands on one of these pages, make their experience count. Using these tips will help you design pages that will subsequently boost your conversion rate.